Electronics DIY blog

DIY is fun and is food for the brain and spirit. Don't be afraid to learn.



Monday, October 28, 2013

Building a CNC - Y-Axis - part 3

Yesterday, I started mounting the Y-axis ball bearing transmission to the arm.
First I had to deal with the transmission block vs stepper motor shaft difference of heights.

To address this situation I used an 0,80€ pencil rubber that I sliced to act as anti vibration pads beneath the linear transmission blocks. It's cheap and it does the job well. I'm hoping it will help me cope with the noise caused by the vibration of the steppers running, against the steel structure.


Next I made a steel plate that will act has the stepper mount plate, and weld it against the arm.


But when I mounting the arm in the CNC cage ...WTFFFF...
The ball bearing thread hits the linear rail of the Z carriage.
Fortunately I only made alignment welds. I had to cut them put the rails of the Y arm higher and re-weld them into place.

Has you can see there is now a very small gap between the Z-rail and the Y-thread, but I should suffice.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment