Electronics DIY blog

DIY is fun and is food for the brain and spirit. Don't be afraid to learn.



Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Building a CNC - Y-Axis - part 2

Here is an update of my CNC building.
Has I stated before I'm doing this in my lunch break. This resumes to 30 min. a day. It's starting to feel more like never ending story... :-P


The second arm (Y-axis) is in place and painted (don't mind the onions on the table....:-P)

CNC with X and Y axis arms mounted
If you remember part 5 of this build, you will notice that this arm is some parts short (the smaller 4x 10cm tubes). Initially I welded them, but if you remember by sketch these were not planed. Because of that if I make de Y-axis in the same manner I did the X-axis the bearing thread system + Stepper will not fit.
So I had to un-weld the hole thing. Even without these, the space to fit these components is very very tight. Let's see if I don't have to do any more changes.

This is the Z-axis linear guide bed mount (the start of it at least). This is actually the second one. I'm building this in the dark (it's all in my head. I've not sketched this or made any pre-measures). Because of the way the bearings and the metal sheet is welded the tube with the off-center holes is the one to be welded. Not the other way around. This is to avoid contact between the bearing and the metal sheet.
Z-axis linear guide bed mount build
It would be best if I just pre draw all in Sketchup to see if it fits. And I probably will. Other wise I will make a lot of mistakes in the way. We will see how it goes.

Fingers crossed...

1 comment: